Requesting Articles: InstraSystem Loan (ISL)
IntraSystem Loan (ISL), also known as document delivery, is a service for HCC students, faculty, and staff to request journal, magazine, or newspaper ARTICLES not available from our Library collections.
Please see a Reference Librarian, who will assist you in submitting a document delivery request. You will need to supply the citation for the article you are requesting. At a minimum, please provide the following:
Be advised that not all materials may be requested or available.
- Article Title
- Journal Title
- Date of publication
- Volume and Issue
- Page Numbers (p. - p.)
To request books or media located at other UH Libraries, please select the "Get This Item" link from the item record in the Hawaii Voyager online catalog. All book requests/transfers must be submitted online.
- How long does ISL/document delivery take?
- Digital delivery via UH email takes approximately 1-3 working days (This is dependent on work flow at the requesting and loaning libraries.) Photocopies from hard bound publications or microfilm may take longer.
- Is there a charge?
- Articles of less than 50 pages are free.
For articles over 50 pages, there is a $3.00 charge.
- How do I receive document requests?
- Most requests are delivered electronically. You will receive an email with a PDF attachment or instructions on accessing the article from a "file drop" (access information will be provided). In some cases you may be required to pick up your document at the HCC Library Circulation Counter.
- How will I know when my materials arrive?
- HCC library staff will contact you via your UH email account (or by telephone), so make sure your contact information is up-to-date when requesting materials.