Library InstructionScheduling Library Sessions
Library instruction is provided to classes upon instructor request. Instructors may schedule a library instruction session by coming to the Reference Desk or calling the reference librarians at 845-9199. Sessions can be designed to focus on a specific class assignment with demonstrations and practice in using the library's online catalog, periodical databases, and other library resources to locate and evaluate information.Library Instruction Guidelines For a successful library instruction session, we suggest that instructors:
- Schedule library instruction sessions in advance, as the calendar fills up quickly. It's a good idea to have an alternate date in mind, in case the preferred date is unavailable.
- Provide a copy of the class' assignment when scheduling a library instruction session, so your librarian can prepare a relevant, informative, and interesting presentation. A copy of the course syllabus is also helpful and appreciated.
- Accompany the class to the library for the instructional session. Students are usually more motivated and engaged when their instructor participates.
- Confer with your librarian about your assignment and the objectives of the library instruction session. Discuss potential topics and library resources.
- Schedule your library instruction session when your students have an assignment that requires them to use the Library. Timing can be very important. Students find library instruction more meaningful when it is relevant and course-integrated.
Individual students of small groups (2-6 students) who need research assistance may schedule a session with a librarian by coming to the Reference Desk or calling the the reference librarians at 845-9199.Library Guides
Check out our librarian-created online subject guides that assist students with finding resources and building research skills.