Computers for Students
The library provides computers with Internet access and software for word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and presentations. Currently enrolled students of the UH System may use these computers by logging in with their 8-digit student ID number.
Access may be restricted if a student has financial obligations of $10.00 or more. Students will be required to acknowledge and abide by the library's Computer Use Policy. The library's PCs are also used by the librarians to teach research classes, therefore computers may be unavailable at times. When access to library PCs is not available, we recommend that students use the Student Computer Lab (Building 2, Room 405). Student computers are also available at the Native Hawaiian Center (Building 20).
The cost is 10¢ per page. Laser printing is available from all computers. Printouts may be picked up and paid for at the circulation payment window. (Wireless printing is not currently available.)
Users must comply with the campus University of Hawaii Policy on Acceptable Use of University Computer and Information Resources. Library computers and related equipment are to be used only to access information resources for educational, instructional, and research needs related to the mission and activities of the University of Hawaii. The use of Library computer equipment for other purposes is prohibited. The following is considered unauthorized computer use and is prohibited:
It is also University of Hawaii policy that:
- Knowingly or carelessly performing an act that will interfere with the normal operation of computers, peripherals, or networks;
- Attempting to circumvent data protection schemes or uncover security loopholes;
- Using the network to gain unauthorized access to any computer systems;
- Masking the identity of an account or machine, which includes, but is not limited to, sending mail anonymously;
- Attempting to monitor or tamper with electronic communications of other users, or reading, copying, changing, or deleting files or software of other users;
- Installing or uploading of software programs or graphics;
- Using a computer account that you are not authorized to use.
- Displaying of sexually explicit images or sounds where others can see or hear them may create a hostile environment and could constitute sexual harassment according to University policies on sexual harassment. Library staff may intervene and direct users to cease this activity;
- University resources are intended to be used for institutional purposes and may not be used for private gain;
- Users must observe all laws relating to copyright, trademark, export and intellectual property rights.
Wireless connection is available via the HCC campus ITC-supported network. UH faculty, staff, and students who bring their own laptops or hand-held devices equipped with wireless cards may access the campus network by logging in with their UH username and password. The campus' wireless information is obtainable from the Student Computer Lab - Building 2, Room 405. Please note: Network availability cannot be guaranteed at all times in all locations. Signal strength may vary. The library is not responsible for any losses that might result from a low or dropped wireless network signal; for loss or damages to personal computing equipment brought into and used in the building, or while using the wireless connection, or for lost data due to equipment or electrical failures or malfunctions.