How to Choose the Right Program or Major
- Make an appointment with the Career Counselor (Bldg. 6, 1st floor; 845-9129) to do a
career interest survey.
- Check the course catalog (for sale at the campus bookstore or online at
http://www2.honolulu.hawaii.edu ) to find out about
the requirements of the program that fits your career interest.
- Meet with the program counselor (Bldg. 6, 1st floor; ph. 845-9129) as early as possible
to find out whether the program has a wait list, what the job outlook is for program graduates,
and what you would need to do to qualify.
- Check to see if you meet all the program entry requirements.
- Find out what levels of math and English are required to enter and complete the program
(all programs have math and English requirements).
- Review the technical standards of the program at http://tech.honolulu.hawaii.edu to determine if you can do the
essential functions required of all students in the program with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Check to see what the approximate program costs are including tuition, books, tools, and
- Check with the financial aid office (Bldg. 6, 1st floor; ph. 845-9116) as far in advance
as possible to see if you qualify for tuition assistance.
- If you are a client of a vocational rehabilitation agency, share the information with
your VR counselor as early as possible to see if the program fits your VR plan.
- If you have a disability, contact the Student ACCESS office at 844-2392 voice/text (Bldg. 5, Rm
107B) as early as possible to find out if you are eligible for disability
accommodations and what types of accommodations are available to you.
November 9, 2006
Return to home page