Cooperative Education provides students the opportunity to acquire on the job experience in conjunction with classroom and laboratory instruction. Cooperative Education is offered in both Career Technical Education and Liberal Arts areas. Written instructor approval is required for registration. Cooperative Education is controlled by Honolulu Community College and not by the officials of the field site. There is regular interaction between the Cooperative Education Coordinator and the student.
Appropriate assignments, as determined by the Cooperative Education Coordinator, are required for completion of the course. A standard College grading system is utilized. Five hours per week or 75 hours of work per semester are required for each credit.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the Cooperative Education course, students will be able to:
- Secure Job Placement. The student will obtain a position with a company that is related to his/her major and perform a minimum of 75 hours of work per semester for each credit. This Learning Outcome will be assessed by.
- Resume or Application Form used to obtain the position
- Student Time Sheet
- Demonstrate Job Performance. As part of a team, the student will perform all duties required at the cooperative education work site, demonstrating positive work habits and using appropriate procedures, tools and equipment, consistent with all applicable standards and OSHA regulations. This Learning Outcome will be assessed by:
- Student Evaluation of Cooperative Education
- Employer Evaluation of Cooperative Education
- Evaluate Personal Assessment. The student will demonstrate an understanding of personal abilities and skills with an awareness of the impact of abilities and skills on career development and academic achievement. This learning outcome will be assessed by:
- Mid Term Report
- Learning Outcome Report
- Mission Statement
- College Catalog
- Campus Map
- College Policies
- Annual Reports
- International Students
- Non-Credit Students
- Off Campus/Military Students
- Returning Students
- Transfer Students