Brief Program Description/Goals
This program is designed to provide entry level knowledge and hands-on skills required for employment in the sheet metal industry. Instruction includes fabricating, architectural metal work and pattern development.
What Is Unique About The Program
The Sheet Metal Industry offers full scholarships for eligible students. Scholarships cover tuition, fees and books.
Upon successful completion of the Certificate of Achievement, the Sheet Metal Union will offer the graduate employment.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the SMP program, students will be able to:
- Identify and properly use personal safety equipment.
- Understand the need for safety equipment in the shop & field.
- Show proper use and care of sheet metal hand tools.
- Identify the proper use, care and safety concerns of shop equipment.
- Produce orthographic drawings for items requiring fabrication.
- State the three forms of metal fabrication.
- Produce basic fitting layout using any of the three methods.
- Identify the base rules for order of operation in fabrication.
- Layout, cut, notch, and bend in proper order, various fittings / components using sheet metal and plastic.
- Identify the different gauges of sheet metal, forming methods, and connection processes after lay out.
- Identification and installation of common fasteners used in sheet metal work.
- Properly mix and apply acids used in soldering.
- Produce soldering joints on galvanized iron.
- Identify Air Conditioners ductwork fittings, their uses, the connection types, and their fabrication methods.
- Explain the use of Short-cut layout methods and when they apply.
Degrees That Can Be Earned
- Certificate of Achievement (CA)
- Associate in Applied Science (AAS)
Itemized Estimate of Educational Costs
- Tuition based on number of credits taken.
- Books/tools approximately $525.
Gainful Employment Information
|Degree:||Certificate of Achievement|
|Occupations:||Sheet Metal Workers
Rolling Machine Operators
Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Operators
|Normal Time to Completion:||2 semesters|
|On-Time Graduation Rate:||50%|
|Avg. Tuition & Fees:||32-33 credits x $97 = $3,201|
|Avg. Cost for Books/Supplies:||$560|
|Job Placement Rate *:||63%|
|Median Loan Debt|
|- Title IV Loans:||$0|
|- Private Loans:||$0|
|- Institutional Debt:||$0|
* - Job Placement info currently available only for 2010-2011 completers
Faculty & Staff
- Danny Aiu, Associate Professor, CC, Email, 845-9237
- Mission Statement
- College Catalog
- Campus Map
- College Policies
- Annual Reports
- International Students
- Non-Credit Students
- Off Campus/Military Students
- Returning Students
- Transfer Students