Occupational and Environmental Safety Management
Brief Program Description/Goals
This program provides training for students to function as paraprofessionals or technicians in the occupational and environmental safety and health field. The curriculum offers a broad background on safety and health program administration, workplace hazard recognition/evaluation/control, workers’ compensation principles, hazardous chemical risk assessment, and environmental management.
Please note that the articulation agreement with the Environmental Resource Management Program, California State University - Bakersfield has been terminated.
What Is Unique About The Program
The program is designed to meet the need of full-time workers who seek professional growth in the area of safety and health management.
Offers evening and Saturday classes to accommodate work schedules.
Hands-on training keyed to the current job market.
The professional experience of actual work site internships.
- "C" or higher in ENG 22/60 or ESL 23, OR Placement in ENG 100
- "C" in Math 25 or Placement in MATH 100/103/115
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the OESM program, the student will be able to:
- Recognize and evaluate workplace and environmental hazards
- Recommend control measures and accident prevention strategies
- Identify and apply appropriate OSHA/HIOSH and EPA regulatory requirements
- Analyze proximate and root causes of work-related accidents
- Develop a written accident prevention and safety management program
- Conduct training and presentations on occupational/environmental safety & health topics
- Exercise choices, explain reasons for choices, and analyze potential consequences when dealing with ethical dilemmas concerning health and safety professionals
- Demonstrate necessary knowledge and skills for employment in the field of occupational and environmental safety and health
Degrees That Can Be Earned
- Certificate of Achievement (CA)
- Associate in Science (AS)
Itemized Estimate of Educational Costs
- Tuition based on total number of credits taken.
- Books approximately $200-$400 per semester.
Gainful Employment Information
|Degree:||Certificate of Achievement|
|Occupations:||Occupational Health & Safety Technicians|
|Normal Time to Completion:||3 semesters|
|On-Time Graduation Rate:||n/a (No CAs conferred)|
|Avg. Tuition & Fees:||46 credits x $97 = $4,462|
|Avg. Cost for Books/Supplies:||$200-$400/semester|
|Job Placement Rate *:||n/a|
|Title IV Loans:||n/a|
* - Job Placement info currently available only for 2010-2011 completers
Faculty & Staff
- Chulee Grove, Professor, CC, Email, 845-9434
- Mission Statement
- College Catalog
- Campus Map
- College Policies
- Annual Reports
- International Students
- Non-Credit Students
- Off Campus/Military Students
- Returning Students
- Transfer Students