Electrical Installation and Maintenance Technology
The Electrical Installation & Maintenance Technology program's mission is to serve the community as a learning-centered, open door program that provides technical training to meet the demands of the electrical industry and the needs of the individual. An open-exit option allows the students to identify their career objectives and participate in program exploration.
The curriculum is designed to prepare students with entry level knowledge and manipulative skills for employment in the electrical industry. The program combines theory with laboratory activities as an effective means of developing the skills essential to the electrical trade.
The student begins with the fundamentals of electricity and wiring of simple circuits, then progresses to residential interior wiring, three phase alternating current power, and wiring of more complex circuits and equipment. Safety is stressed as an integral part of each shop task. Emphasis is placed on wiring in accordance with the provisions contained in the National Electrical Code.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the EIMT program, students will be able to:
- Work independently and inter-dependently on a construction and/or maintenance project meeting industry standards.
- Comply with published electrical codes and safety standards.
- Select and order appropriate electrical parts (materials) based on blueprints and drawings.
- Calculate electrical circuit loads and design/draw the electrical circuits.
- Install electrical systems/equipment in new construction under supervision of a journey person.
- Troubleshoot, repair, and conduct routine maintenance of electrical systems/equipment.
- ENG 19 and/or ENG 21, OR "C" or higher in ESL 13 & 14, OR Placement in ENG 22/60 or ESL 23
- MATH 9, OR Placement in MATH 53
Degrees That Can Be Earned
- Associate in Applied Science
- Certificate of Achievement
Cost of Textbooks/Supplies
The cost for textbooks is approximately $350. Required hand tools cost approximately $300.
Gainful Employment Information
Faculty & Staff
- Mission Statement
- College Catalog
- Campus Map
- College Policies
- Annual Reports
- Campus Facts
- International Students
- Non-Credit Students
- Off Campus/Military Students
- Returning Students
- Transfer Students
- Financial Aid
- Records Office
- Testing and Tutoring
- Health Office
- Native Hawaiian Center
- Writing Center