The Communication Arts program's mission is to serve the community as a learning-centered program that provides hands-on technical training. The two-year career and technical curricula is for entry level employment or skill upgrading in keeping with the demands of the design, publishing, and printing industries as well as the needs of the individual.
Communication Arts is a graphic design program that integrates art and technology to communicate ideas and information for a wide range of visual communication needs such as: marketing collateral, advertising design, packaging design, and more, for print and digital media needs.
The program provides a curriculum of technical and conceptual problem solving skills to encourage innovation, critical thinking and the application of formal design.
The Communication Arts program prepares students for entry level employment in graphic design, advertising design, desktop and on-line publishing, and includes all aspects of the publishing, printing and related services and industries.
To successfully complete the program, students must earn a grade of "C" or higher in all major courses with a "CA" alpha.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the CA program, students will be able to:
- Produce compositions utilizing the various steps of the design process: investigate client needs, do marketing research, define the design problem, problem solve, develop an idea/concept, thumbnails, layouts, comps and presentation art, prepare final art and produce mechanicals when necessary.
- Use tools, equipment and services to implement ideas for production. Techniques to include use of computer hardware, software, and service bureaus.
- Select appropriate software tools to achieve or maintain effective design solutions.
- Follow instructions to produce, modify, or output files according to client/project supplied criteria.
- Produce graphic design formats appropriate for delivery output while demonstrating the ability to meet deadlines, organize time and maintain schedules.
- Work independently as well as part of a team.
- ENG 22/60 or ESL 23, OR Placement in ENG 100
- MATH 24 or 50 OR Placement in MATH 25
Degrees That Can Be Earned
Associate in Science
Cost of Textbooks/Supplies
The estimated cost of the two-year program for required texts and supplies is approximately $2000.
Faculty & Staff
- Mission Statement
- College Catalog
- Campus Map
- College Policies
- Annual Reports
- International Students
- Non-Credit Students
- Off Campus/Military Students
- Returning Students
- Transfer Students
- Financial Aid
- Records Office
- College Skills Center
- Health Office
- Native Hawaiian Center
- Writing Center