Brief Program Description/Goals
The AJ program provides students with an understanding of the workings of the criminal justice system including the scientific study of law enforcement, the court system, and corrections. Students will learn causes and effects of crime and delinquency, law enforcement procedures such as securing a crime scene, gathering evidence and providing testimony, and balance of individual rights with the protection of society. Students may continue their studies and receive baccalaureate degrees in justice administration or other related areas at several universities in Hawai‘i.
What Is Unique About The Program
Faculty members have real life experiences as FBI agents, police officials, attorneys and a retired police chief.
Students network and learn from classmates who work in various law enforcement positions such as police officer, deputy sheriff, military police, corrections officer, and security officers.
Articulation agreements with universities in Hawai‘i for smooth transfer to a bachelor degree in AJ and/or related topics.
- "C" or higher in ENG 22/60 or ESL 23, OR Placement in ENG 100
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the AJ program, students will be able to:
- Use critical observation skills.
- Communicate with a diverse population in a culturally sensitive manner.
- Assess and respond appropriately to potential conflict situations.
- Write clear and accurate reports.
- Maintain a drug free lifestyle.
- Work independently and interdependently to accomplish shared professional outcomes.
- Develop Administration of Justice career plans.
- Practice within the legal/ethical parameters of the Justice profession.
Degrees That Can Be Earned
- Associate in Applied Science (AAS)
Itemized Estimate of Educational Costs
- Tuition based on total credits taken.
- Books approximately $400 per semester.
Faculty & Staff
- Mission Statement
- College Catalog
- Campus Map
- College Policies
- Annual Reports
- International Students
- Non-Credit Students
- Off Campus/Military Students
- Returning Students
- Transfer Students