MARR 60 - Small Boat Handling And Seamanship
This course is intended to provide the student with a basic overview of small boat handling and seamanship. The course will cover basic terminology, safety aspects, fundamental small boat helmsmanship, and Coast Guard regulations for small vessels. Both private and commercial as well as Coast Guard licensing necessary to secure on-board positions will be covered. The course is also designed to give the student interested in a career as a merchant seaman or commercial boat operator an overview of the requirements, testing, and experience necessary to reach that goal.
3 hrs. lect.; 3 hrs. lab. per week
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of MARR 60, the student will be able to:
- Ability to safely command a boat away from a dock and return.
- Understands "rules of the road" for vessels, including color regulations.
- Ability to secure a vessel to the dock.
- Understands basic sailing theory.
- Practices proper safety regulations for small vessels.
- Relationship to other courses.
- Provides operation course to existing fabrication and repair courses.
- Mission Statement
- College Catalog
- Campus Map
- College Policies
- Annual Reports
- International Students
- Non-Credit Students
- Off Campus/Military Students
- Returning Students
- Transfer Students