FIRE 209 - Hazardous Materials Technician
- Prerequisite: "C" or higher in ENG 22/60 or ESL 23, OR Placement in ENG 100; Placement in MATH 24/50
- Recommended Prep: FIRE 203,207, and CHEM 105
This course is one of the final courses in a series of courses that were developed to increase responders awareness and capabilities to respond to hazardous materials incidents. May be taken on a CR/N basis.
3 hrs. lect. per week
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of FIRE 209, the student will be able to:
- Analyze a hazardous material incident to determine the magnitude of the problem in terms of outcomes.
- Plan a response within the capabilities of available personnel, personal protective equipment, and control equipment.
- Implement the planned response to favorably change the outcomes consistent with the organizations standard operating procedures and safety considerations.
- Evaluate the planned response by evaluating the effectiveness of the control functions.
- Terminate the incident.
- Understand what weapons of mass destruction/are and how to recognize them.
- Describe monitoring, decontamination, and personal protective equipment that is effective against these agents.
- Mission Statement
- College Catalog
- Campus Map
- College Policies
- Annual Reports
- Campus Facts
- International Students
- Non-Credit Students
- Off Campus/Military Students
- Returning Students
- Transfer Students
- Financial Aid
- Records Office
- Testing and Tutoring
- Health Office
- Native Hawaiian Center
- Writing Center