FIRE 108 - Wellness/Fitness For Emergency Response Professionals
- Recommended Prep: Medical clearance required
- Comment: This is a lecture/lab course requiring physical activity. Students must obtain medical clearance from their physician in order to participate.
FIRE, OESM and AJ majors only. This course explores the concept of wellness, lifestyle management and fitness and is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills to improve their own quality of life. This course is designed for individuals who are pursuing a career in Fire and Emergency Response, and it provides clear and objective research-based information pertinent to behavior change, exercise, nutrition, weight management, disease prevention, stress management, and risk reduction. Students will develop personal wellness and fitness including physical, mental, emotional and spiritual domains. Successful completion of this course will help students prepare for the Fire Department Fitness Examinations, and Wellness Fitness Certification Programs.
2 hrs. lect.; 3 hrs. lab. per week
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of FIRE 108, the student will be able to:
- Define the term wellness and its relationship to health and disease.
- Define wellness/fitness related to health and disease for Emergency Response Personnel including major causes of injury/death for firefighters and the associated risk/reduction factors.
- Explain the components of Wellness/Fitness and how to assess them (Warm up, Functional Exercises for every major body part, Cool down, Nutrition, Sustainability and Stress management).
- Design and implement a personal Wellness/Fitness program.
- Prepare for the NASM Certified Personal Trainer Exam.
- Prepare for the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT)
- Mission Statement
- College Catalog
- Campus Map
- College Policies
- Annual Reports
- International Students
- Non-Credit Students
- Off Campus/Military Students
- Returning Students
- Transfer Students
- Financial Aid
- Records Office
- College Skills Center
- Health Office
- Native Hawaiian Center
- Writing Center