COSM 20 - Elementary Cosmetology Theory
- Prerequisite: High School diploma or equivalent; ENG 19 and/or ENG 21, OR ESL 13 & 14, OR Placement in ENG 22/60 or ESL 23; MATH 9, OR Placement in MATH 24/50/53
- Co-requisite: COSM 21L and FAMR 296
- COSM majors only
Basics of hygiene, personal grooming, safety and infection control, sanitation and sterilization, structure and disorders of hair, skin and nails, and the Hawai‘i State Board Rules and Regulations.
3 hrs. lect. minimum per week
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of COSM 20, the student will be able to:
- Describe how maintaining a healthy body and mind, effective communication and positive human relations lead to professional development.
- Explain the similarities and the difference in pathogenic and non-pathogenic bacteria.
- Describe the salon procedures necessary for appropriate infection control safety and first-aid applications.
- Describe the theoretical knowledge required to provide hair care.
- Describe how the design elements and design principles, adaptability guidelines and service essentials support design decisions.
- Demonstrate the theoretical knowledge required to provide color services.
- Demonstrate the theoretical knowledge required to perform nail care services.
- Demonstrate the theoretical knowledge required to perform skin care services.
- Explain the Hawai'i Revised Statutes, Hawai'i Administrative Rules and Title 11 Department of Health as it relates to the school and salon.
- Mission Statement
- College Catalog
- Campus Map
- College Policies
- Annual Reports
- Campus Facts
- International Students
- Non-Credit Students
- Off Campus/Military Students
- Returning Students
- Transfer Students
- Financial Aid
- Records Office
- Testing and Tutoring
- Health Office
- Native Hawaiian Center
- Writing Center