CENT 231 - Data Communication
- Prerequisite: CENT 140
This course provides an introduction to telecommunication systems with an emphasis on digital data communication. Topics include transmission techniques, transmission media, the public switched telephone system, digital encoding schemes, and the emerging technologies of data communication.
3 hrs. lect.; 3 hrs. lab. per week
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of CENT 231, the student will be able to:
- Explain basic telecommunication terms and concepts.
- Use tip and ring concepts to create telecommunications circuits.
- Troubleshoot telecommunications circuits and systems.
- Use a variety of test equipment for circuit analysis and troubleshooting.
- Use patch panels for troubleshooting, quality control, and restoring service during outages.
- Take outage reports over the phone.
- Fill out circuit failure tickets.
- Write basic technical instructions and reports.
- Give oral presentations.
- Mission Statement
- College Catalog
- Campus Map
- College Policies
- Annual Reports
- International Students
- Non-Credit Students
- Off Campus/Military Students
- Returning Students
- Transfer Students