CA 135 - Typographic Design
- Prerequisite: CA 122
- Prerequisite or Co-requisite: CA 125
CA majors only. A design course emphasizing the function of type to convey a message, establish a mood, attract attention, and/or create emphasis through typographic design projects that use type as the primary element in composition. Topics to include historical and contemporary type issues as well as web specific issues. Students may enroll 2 times for a maximum of 8 credits.
4 hrs. lect./demo. per week
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of CA 135, the student will be able to:
- Recognize the fundamental design and classification systems of typography, related to historical and contemporary qualities.
- Understand and follow the steps necessary for quality typographic output; measure text, do copyfitting, proofreading and mark-up, and correct copy, use appropriate OCR and word-processing and page layout software. prepare for output at service bureau.
- Understand and use type vocabulary the typographic lexicon, including computer application and hardware specific language.
- Design typographic assignments with consideration of meaning, organization and quality.
- Recognize and use the typographic qualities of legibility and readability.
- Critique type selection and layout relative to message, client need and appropriate use of type and design.
- Understand the type style conventions and font limitations of the web.
- Demonstrate awareness of quality and skill in verbal and visual language by successfully designing solutions to assigned projects.
- Demonstrate attention to detail, to quality organization, to problem solving and flexibility in use of both verbal and visual language.
- Exhibit improvement in electronic typesetting and other computer related tools, as well as skill with traditional hands-on media, useful in making sketches and preliminary planning.
- Mission Statement
- College Catalog
- Campus Map
- College Policies
- Annual Reports
- International Students
- Non-Credit Students
- Off Campus/Military Students
- Returning Students
- Transfer Students
- Financial Aid
- Records Office
- College Skills Center
- Health Office
- Native Hawaiian Center
- Writing Center