AEC 139 - Field Shadow Experience (1)
- Prerequisite: "C" or higher in AEC 120; "C" or higher in ENG ENG 250-257(A-Z)
- AEC majors only
Students individually shadow an architect, engineer, or other industry professional for two hours per week (7 times) at times arranged. Three group meetings with all instructors for orientation and to share experiences. Placement tailored to student needs and interests. Students may enroll 2 times for credit.
2 hrs. field experience per week for 7 weeks
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of AEC 139, the student will be able to:
- Research a particular architectural, engineering, or construction firm to learn its structure, history, emphases, community involvement, an representative current and completed projects.
- On the basis of direct observation, characterize the relationships and forms or levels of communication between employees one to another employees and consultants or contractors, and employees and clients.
- Observe and describe the apparent organization and preparation involved in presentations by others at office and client meetings.
- Observe and compare the written, oral, and technical skills of employees to the areas of their expertise within an architectural, engineering, or construction firm.
- Organize a presentation that explains the history, structure, and operation of an AEC firm, some of its prominent projects, and the relationships and individual responsibilities of people within the firm.
- Give at least two Powerpoint presentations based on research and firsthand observation that evidence seriousness, depth of involvement, organization, verbal clarity, good grammar (both written and spoken), personal appearance and poise, attention to the audience, and graphical and technical skill.
- Demonstrate listening, processing, and speaking skills in responding appropriately to audience questions and comments.
- Mission Statement
- College Catalog
- Campus Map
- College Policies
- Annual Reports
- Campus Facts
- International Students
- Non-Credit Students
- Off Campus/Military Students
- Returning Students
- Transfer Students
- Financial Aid
- Records Office
- Testing and Tutoring
- Health Office
- Native Hawaiian Center
- Writing Center